Quotes

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." -Thomas Merton

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Shimmerz Paints Design Team Project



Hello my friend’s, glad you followed my Shimmerz siren call to bring you here  today, because I am going to show you how to add some simple techniques to add interest to your art journal pages.   I look for elements in photo that I can try and artfully replicate like gowns that have patterns in the material, or some architectural element.  In this photo, I found the colors and the lovely lace work in the bodice of the gown creatively inspiring.  The following is how I tried to replicate the texture of the lacy bodice onto my book pages.
 
Art Journal Background Pages:

·         Apply gesso on both pages randomly, and do not fill in the entire pages with gesso.  Leave some of the book page edges in their natural state.  The page will absorb the Shimmerz Paint differently and the same paint will adopt a different hue and texture. How cool is that?

·         Emboss with a stamp, embossing ink, and white embossing powder randomly around the pages.

·         Lightly spray Vibez Deep Blue Sea around the edges of the book pages and quickly use a dampened sea sponge to absorb excess color and soften the edges.  If you can see the hard spray on the paper, add a spritz of water to soften the color and make the sprayed marks disappear.  Let dry completely.  I prefer to let the paint dry naturally and not try to move the paint around with a heat gun…did I mention I have control issues? LOL.  Plus, leaving the paint to dry naturally adds more depth.

·         Repeat the above application to add more depth of color.

·         If your embossing images become saturate with color, you can use a damp sea sponge to clean it up.

·         Some Paste-eez was used over a stencil randomly over the page leaving an ethereal patterned image.




Chipboard Element:  Chipboard remnants are my newfound interest…they look like puzzle pieces and are easy to tuck into clusters.

·         Apply gesso to the chipboard.

·         Use a very small paint brush and paint near the edge of the chipboard and leave some of the white gesso exposed. Here I used Inklingz Penny 4 Your Thoughts

·         Apply another coat of paint, or a different color randomly on the chipboard making sure you don’t cover the white edged gesso. Here I used Shimmerz Blue Grass

·         Lightly use a very fine black marker and pen around the edges next to the white gesso.




I hope I have inspired you to work in  your art journal this week using some Shimmerz goodness.

Follow us on the Shimmerz Paint Blog to stay abreast of all the new happenings.





4 comments:

  1. I love this Page!!!!! I love yours delicate style Joyce <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely stunning!! The colours are so beautiful and I love all the textures! Thank you for sharing and for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous....love the colouring and the styling. So beautiful! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me encantan tus trabajos!!!!!divinos!!!

    ReplyDelete