Quotes

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." -Thomas Merton

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Kosher Salt Technique


Look as this yummy texture achieved by using Kosher Salt.  The size of the salt crystals are just perfect for layouts and/or your mixed media art.


The supplies shown in the picture are all you need to achieve this salt texture.  I'm only showing one color of Glimmer Mist in the photo, but I actually used a Lindy's Stamp Gang Moonshadow Mist (Smoky Sapphire) color as well.

 

Kosher Salt is often used in watercolor paintings.  When you saturate a section of watercolor paper with watercolor paint, and you pour some Kosher Salt on top of the paint and let it dry thoroughly, the salt absorbs all the color and you can then flick off the salt and it leaves a really cool effect. I would often use this technique on some of my watercolor art and thought why couldn't this work on a layout as well, so I set out to see if I could make it work.

In this case, I saturated some sections of corrugated paper with various colors of Glimmer Mist and Lindy's Stamp Gang Moonshadow Mist and poured some salt on the pools of color and let it dry with the help of a heat gun, but not too close as you don’t want the salt to fly off the paper. I would suggest you let the pooled colors with salt dry naturally. Once it was dried, I really liked the texture it revealed and decided to keep it as it was by applying a light mist of Elmer’s Graft Bond Spray Adhesive.  If you don’t apply the bond spray adhesive, the salt will eventually fall off the paper.
 
Unfortunately, that strip is a piece I had to cut off to make this creation fit on my layout that I was working on, but you can see all the cool texture effect the salt produced.
 
I sincerely hope you give it a try and let me know what you do with it.
 
 

 
 



47 comments:

  1. What a fun and fabulous technique. If I had that salt I would give it a try in a second! Very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this technique wow gotta try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds a fab idea something I must try out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have googled the salt and not even the Kosher shops in Sweden have it. Seems what makes it special is the lack of iodine, else it's the same as our large-grained household cooking salt. The effect is really spectacular, really so cool! What do you reckon the effect of iodine might be? you once told me you use mineral water for your tears on paper as the tap water discolours it. Hmm, won't know till I've tried in other words :)) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, any large grain salt should do the trick. However, the sea salt grain is much too large, but maybe equally interesting...I don't know as I have not tried it, but you inspire me to do so. The small grain iodine salt is really too small and refined and there won't be that much drama as in a larger coarse salt. Hope you find a salt that works in your part of the world and when you do, let me know as I'd love to see how you use it. XXXooo

      Delete
    2. Sea salt worked on a bit in a mortlar is pretty much the same.

      Havssalt stött lätt i en mortel ger samma effekt.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Joyce! Never heard of Kosher salt but I bought some coarse salt a while back when I heard of this technique but am yet to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty. I am a newbie at all of this sort of thing, but this looks like maybe I could try it. I don't even know what gesso is, but I see all these beautiful techniques and just stare at how pretty some of them are. My work space is very limited so it's hard for me to paint, etc and try different things but I think I might try this because it doesn't call for much which is so kewl and the outcome is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. Hugs Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, this is just amazing! I'm definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful work of art. Using salt is something I have always wanted to try but never get there. Joyce, you have motivated me to try it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely. Did you prime the cardboard with gesso first?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your tutorials. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea and will be using. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Now wonder if I can use this method on clean sanded wood?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What about answering some of the queries,!

    ReplyDelete